Monday 13 June 2011

I need a beard. (not a hairy beard)

Right so during lunch, I was discussing with my mother about my brother's relationship with his wife.  She's apparently quite worried for them because she caught my brother sleeping on the floor once.

So then, she turns 180deg around and asks me if I have a girlfriend.


I shat in my pants.


In the past, when I was asked, I would tell her that wasn't 100% settled anywhere so I hadn't actively look for a girl friend (which I think is a 100% legit excuse).


At some point in my life (recently), I decided to admit the truth to anyone who'd ask if I were gay. and I've kept to it. But I thought again- I couldn't do that to my parents. Sometimes, the truth hurts for a life time. And this is a truth that would do exactly just that.


I said no, which was clearly not the answer she was expecting.  My brother brought girlfriends when he was 22 and spoke of marriage at 25, so same age as me right now, I apparently bear no fruits to match their expectations.


You see my parents are very proud of what they've achieved in life. They raised by really humble parents and grew up to live a modest life, better than all their brothers and sisters. They're really proud of the fact that thy have two intelligent sons, graduated from top tier unis, and have respectable jobs. They rub it in their friends faces. Because they can. And like father like son, like mother like daughter, I'd do the same too. Which is why I know this truth is worth sacrifice.


I proceed with my dumpling, and she proceeds with her mouth. She asks if I have anyone in mind, or if I had a girlfriend before.


Again, Chinese parents like to speculate. My mother always talks of my brother and tells me what she thinks he's up to. So I'm rather sure my mum was thinking I had a girlfriend while I was in London, which was why I was so reluctant to come back to hong kong. Or even worse, she probably thought I had a boyfriend... But let's not go there because I'm scared of that truth too.


With assurance, I tell my mum: "mum, I don't plan to get married and have kids until I'm 35. There's just too much to do out there and I don't want to settle down until I'm sure of where I want to live." She concurs and leaves the subject to rest.


This is exactly why I need a beard very soon.





Seriously, I can't get enough of this:


No comments:

Post a Comment